Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 3 large russet potatoes, washed and scrubbed (do not peel, about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (1/8 to 1/4)
- 2 cups mesquite wood chips
- Prepare barbecue grill for direct cooking.
- Preheat oven to 425°F degrees.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise; then cut each half lengthwise into 4 wedges.
- Place potatoes in large bowl.
- Add oil and garlic; toss to coat well.
- Combine salt, paprika, thyme, oregano, black pepper and ground red pepper in small bowl.
- Sprinkle over potatoes; toss to coat well.
- Place potato wedges in single layer in shallow roasting pan.
- (Reserve remaining oil mixture.) Bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cover mesquite chips with cold water; soak 20 minutes.
- Drain mesquite chips; sprinkle over coals.
- Place potato wedges on their sides on grid.
- Grill potato wedges, on covered grill, over medium coals 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are browned and fork-tender, brushing with reserved oil mixture halfway through grilling time and turning once with tongs.
Recipe Nut, these were so wonderful. The seasoning was perfect. Thyme and oregano are my favs. I grilled these in a grill basket because I was afraid they might fall apart directly on the grill. The wood chips really added a nice smokiness to the flavor. Thanks for a wonderful recipe.
These were great! I didn't have any wood chips but I think I will try them next time. I put them in an aluminum pie plate to bake in oven and then used this same plate to cook them on grill as I was afraid they might fall through the grill. I served them with grilled chicken and it made a great combination. Many thanks.
Followed the recipe to a T. Loved it,thanks for the great recipe!!!!!