Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A delicious Bon Appetit salad. Prep time does not reflect marinating time.
Make and share this Grilled Cajun Chicken Salad with Spicy Ranch Dressing recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For Salad Dressing
- 1 3⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 package baby mixed greens (I used fresh Romaine)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (I used golden)
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl to blend.
- --MakeSalad Dressing--.
- Whisk 3/4 cup of the buttermilk, mayonnaise, chopped green onion, fresh parsley, apple cider vinegar, garlic, lemon peel, and 1 1/2 tsp of the Seasoning Mixture in medium bowl until well blended.
- Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Rub remaining seasoning mixture onto chicken.
- Place chicken in medium bowl.
- Pour remaining 1 cup buttermilk over chicken, turning to coat.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 3 hours, turning occasionally.
- Prepare the grill (medium-high heat).
- Remove chicken from buttermilk shaking off excess.
- Grill chicken until just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board and let rest 5 minutes.
- Combine greens, pecans, and raisins in a large bowl.
- Toss with enough dressing to coat.
- Season salad with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Divide salad among 4 plates.
- Cut chicken on sharp diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Arrange atop salads and serve.
I found this recipe in the Bon Appetit archives some years ago. People think I absolutely nuts when I do this....but I packaged up all that I could (at home) and took this recipe with me to Hawaii. I had enough ingredients for 2 meals. The only thing I had to do on the other end was buy chicken and make the dressing. I used lemon juice to make the buttermilk and had all the other ingredients on hand. I did add sliced cherry tomatoes and dried blueberries, because I had them on hand. This salad was visually appealing and the taste was excellent. My DH and I thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Although this was on recipe cards, I will make sure that it goes into my "Hawaii" file for future reference. Thanks Ginny for the posting!