Recipe by Hey Jude
Excellent grilled chicken. The buttermilk brine keeps it moist and tender....plan ahead, it needs to brine at least 4 hours. Adapted from a Sunset recipe.
Top Review by HisPixie
This was very good; I'll use this recipe all the time for grilling chicken! I didn't have 4 hours so I'm anxious to try it again when I have more time to marinate; I'd love to marinate it overnight. I also didn't have any shallots; I just threw in a a tbl of minced dried onion.
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 -4 lbs cut-up chicken
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix buttermilk, shallots, garlic, salt, sugar, cumin and pepper.
- Rinse chicken parts and pat dry; trim off excess fat and submerge chicken into buttermilk brine; cover and chill for at least 4 hours or up to 1 day.
- Lift chicken from brine; discard the brine; wipe excess from chicken with paper towels.
- Grill chicken over medium coals or medium heat on a gas grill; close lid and cook, turning frequently, until browned on both sides and no longer pink at the bone, about 30-40 minutes depending on the size of your chicken pieces.