1/2 Photos of Grilled Butterflied Leg of Lamb with Lemon, Herbs and Garlic
I went to a cookout last weekend and this was the main dish. This lamb was perhaps the best I've ever tasted. Juicy, succulent, and full of flavor thanks to the herbs garlic and lemon. I begged the host for the recipe, and here it is for you. Note: I would cook this a little longer for medium meat...just my preference. Also, you might want to secure the meat lengthwise with 2 skewers and widthwise with 2 skewers so it doesn't fall apart on the grill.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 clove garlic
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 14.79 ml coarse salt (such as kosher or sea)
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 3175.14-3628.73 g leg of lamb, trimmed of all fat,boned,and butterflied by butcher (4 to 4 3/4 pounds boneless)
- 1 lemon
- 1Make herb rub: Finely chop garlic and in a small bowl stir together with remaining herb-rub ingredients.
- 2Put lamb in a large dish and with tip of a sharp knife held at a 45=degree angle cut 1/2-inch-deep slits all over lamb, rubbing herb mixture into slits and all over lamb.
- 3Marinate lamb at room temperature for 1 hour.
- 4Prepare grill.
- 5Lightly pat lamb dry.
- 6On a lightly oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals grill lamb about 10 minutes on each side, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of meat registers 125 for medium-rare.
- 7(Alternately, roast lamb in a roasting pan in middle of a 425 oven about 25 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer horizontally inserted into meat registers 125 for medium-rare.) Transfer lamb to a cutting board.
- 8Halve and seed lemon.
- 9Squeeze juice over lamb and let stand, loosely covered with foil 15 minutes.
- 10Cut lamb into slices and serve with any juices that have accumulated on cutting board.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Butterflied Leg of Lamb with Lemon, Herbs and Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (416 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 850.9
- Calories from Fat 528
- Total Fat 58.6 g
- Saturated Fat 23.7 g
- Cholesterol 265.9 mg
- Sodium 1099.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 74.1 g