Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an excellent way to cook lamb. Even friends of ours who've never before liked lamb love this. When feeding children who turn their noses up at lamb we call this steak and they gobble it up. We do eventually tell them they really do like lamb because they just ate it! LOL, love doing that! The measurements are all approximate, use more olive oil if you wish, or more parsley, even sub out oregano for the rosemary. Double the paste recipe if using a large leg. Delicious with wild mushroom risotto and a Greek salad.
- 3 lbs leg of lamb, butterflied
- 1 1⁄2 heads garlic
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 -7 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried thyme
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil (more or less)
- Make sure your lamb has been butterflied evenly so when it cooks evenly.
- Place all ingredients except olive oil into blender or food processor.
- Blend into course goop while slowly adding olive oil until mixture forms a moderately wet paste, somewhat like pesto.
- Spread paste on lamb, cover and refrigerate. Take lamb out of refrigerator two hours prior to grilling.
- On a very hot grill sear lamb then cook covered at medium careful not to scorch.
- Cook until thermometer registers rare.
- Take off grill and cover with aluminum foil, letting the meat rest about 10-25 minutes before carving.