Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Instead of using all spinach for this, try a combination of half watercress and half spinach. From a vegetarian cookbook of mine.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, rinsed and stemmed (6 cups)
- 8 ounces cold brie cheese, cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 8 slices firm-textured whole wheat bread
- margarine or butter
- In a large skillet cook garlic in hot oil for 30 seconds.
- Add spinach.
- Cook over medium heat, tossing till spinach begins to wilt; remove from heat and set aside.
- Divide the cheese among 4 slices of the bread.
- Top with spinach-garlic mixture.
- Cover with remaining bread slices.
- Lightly butter the outside of each sandwich.
- In a large skillet cook half of the sandwiches over medium-low heat for 5 to 7 minutes or till golden brown.
- Turn sandwich and cook for 2 minutes more or till golden brown and cheese melts.
- Transfer to a warm oven.
- Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
A nice grown up grilled cheese! Made using an extremely good quality whole grain bread which is a must for this recipe. This was made as written using the watercress option mentioned in the description and think next time will add just one or two twist of black pepper. Thanks for the post.