Recipe by carolinajen4
I first got this recipe years ago from a vegetarian cookbook. I've made it many different ways with whatever greens look good at the farmer's market or grocery store. Use whatever greens you like to sautee. You can also use whatever cheese you like. I love brie and swiss. Provolone or mozzerella would be great, too.
- 3 roasted garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (can use a tad more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper (optional)
- 6 cups spinach (or any greens you prefer to saute)
- 8 ounces brie cheese (cut about 1/8-inchs thick, or sliced swiss, deli style, sliced medium)
- 8 slices whole wheat bread (or your favorite for grilled sandwiches)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Cook garlic in oil without browning.
- Add spinach or greens of choice and lemon pepper, if desired. Cook over medium heat, tossing until greens begin to wilt; remove from heat and set aside.
- Divide the cheese among 4 slices of bread. Use how much cheese you prefer.
- Top with spinach-garlic mixture. Cover with the remaining slices of bread.
- Butter the outside of each sandwich. (I use Pam butter spray.).
- In same skillet, cook sandwiches over med-low heat for about 5-6 minutes until brown and cheese is melted, just like making a typical grilled cheese.