Prep 30 mins
Cook 11 mins
I was planning a dinner party, and was picking up the needed ingredients at my local market, when an appetizer cookbook caught my eye. It figures that in the first few pages I found something I had to try. Committed to memory long enough to buy what I needed, but forgot enough by the time I got home I didn't want to chance it without help, so I went on the internet to see if I could find something similar and lo and behold I found it exactly on the Wisconsin Cheese and Dairy Recipes site. The recipe is credited to Chef Tom Catherall of Atlanta, GA. I served it as our appetizer that evening and it was a big hit. I have to admit that I didn't use 1/2 lb of exotic mushrooms - just couldn't afford it, so I mixed in plain old button mushroom and small amount of shitake. Used less then the called for amount of Portobellos as well. I think it would make an excellent pizza as well.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced (shitake or oyster)
- 1⁄2 lb portabella mushroom, sliced
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, basil, minced
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, minced
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices country bread, toasted
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 4 ounces Fontina cheese
- 2 ounces gorgonzola, crumble
- 1 lemon, juice of 1/2 the lemon
- whole flat leaf parsley (to garnish)
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are dry, about 10 minutes.
- Add mixed herbs and parsley, toss.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat.
- Rub each side of the toasted bread lightly with garlic cloves.
- Divide and distribute the warm mushroom on top of the bread slices.
- Combine the Fontina and Gorgonzola cheeses and sprinkle evenly over the mushrooms.
- Place mushroom toasts under hot broiler.
- Broil until cheese melts, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Place on serving platter and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Garnish with parsley leaves.
- Serve immediately.