Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Wonderful plate full of fresh veggies and salad greens topped with deliciously seasoned and slightly spicy grilled chicken breast. Another supper that will keep Mama out of the kitchen! Revised from “Grill Power” by Holly Rudin-Braschi NOTE: PLAN AHEAD: Needs to marinate for 20 minutes to overnight!
- 566.99 g boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 59.16 ml hot sauce (like Frank's Red Hot)
- 14.79 ml Bourbon or 14.79 ml whiskey or 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 2.46 ml seasoning salt
- 1419.54 ml romaine lettuce
- 236.59 ml cucumber, thinly sliced
- 236.59 ml celery, thinly sliced
- 236.59 ml bell pepper, any color, diced
- 236.59 ml carrot, shredded
- 473.18 ml cherry tomatoes
- 59.16 ml green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
- 473.18 ml croutons, seasoned (optional)
- Mix hot pepper sauce, bourbon (or whiskey or lemon juice) and salt in a 1-gallon zippered freezer bag and shake to mix it up. Rinse chicken if desired and pat completely dry with paper towels. Add chicken to bag and let rest in refrigerator for 20 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the grill to the highest setting.
- Remove chicken from marinade, spray each piece lightly with fat-free cooking spray, and place on grill. Grill chicken about 8 to 12 minutes turning chicken halfway through. (You can do this inside using an indoor grill- cooking for about 5 minutes and not turning as it is a two sided grill.).
- Arrange lettuce on plates and top with cucumbers, celery, bell pepper and carrot, leaving center free for chicken.
- To serve, allow chicken to rest 2 to 3 minutes after coming off of grill to allow juices to settle. Cut each piece across the grain into 1/2-inch wide strips then lay equal amounts in center of each salad.
- Sprinkle each salad with equal amounts of onions and croutons. Drizzle with your choice of salad dressing. We like Ranch but Blue Cheese is great as well.
This recipe was the perfect subsitute for one of my favorite foods: fried, spicy, so-bad-for-me hot wings! We skipped the salad and ate the chicken by itself, with low-fat ranch and an extra side of Frank's for me. This was a wonderful, low-fat main dish! I used an indoor grill (George Foreman-style), so we missed out on that great grill flavor, but this chicken was still awesome! BF has requested I make this again soon! Thanks, Mama!
We really enjoyed this salad. No croutons, but I did use all of the veggies. Used a yellow pepper for contrast to make it extra pretty. I used whiskey, but didn't really think you could taste it. (I actually discovered it was blackberry whiskey, so maybe the subtlety was a good thing.) I was out of seasoned salt, so I sprinkled some on before grilling after I mixed some up. This marinated for about 7 hours, but I might try for overnight next time.
Fast, Easy, and absolutely DELICIOUS!