1/1 Photo of Grilled Bottom Round Roast
1 hr 10 mins
Buster's friend's Note:
I needed to conquer what promised to be an especially tough bottom round roast from a steer who lived his life chomping only grass & clambering up & down mountainous terrain. The overnight marination along bringing roast up to room temp before grilling did the trick. We like our beef rare, especially for leftovers to be used in sandwiches & salads, hence internal temp of just barely to 140 degrees F. You need to check on your roast frequently after initial 30 -40 minutes to reach but not exceed internal temp you prefer (140 - rare, 160 - medium (barely pink inside)). Serve with Potato Gorgonzola Gratin & green salad with balsamic dressing & balsamic marinated onions. Yum, yum, yum. Try to choose a roast that has a shell or rind of fat on one side - it'll rest longest on that side on the grill & not dry out the meat. *Cooking time probably too long but does NOT include long marinade.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 lbs boneless bottom round roast
- 12 ounces lager beer (Yeungling)
- 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 cup fresh horseradish, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper, smoked ground chipotle
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1Mix beer, peppers, mustard, horseradish, thyme, garlic, bay leaves & nutmeg in plastic freezer bag.
- 2Make several slashes through fat shell of roast.
- 3Place roast in bag with marinade, express as much air as possible before sealing & refrigerate 12 - 24 hours.
- 4On the day you plan to cook, let roast in marinade bag come to room temperature.
- 5Preheat gas grill to 450°F.
- 6Remove roast from grill & place on plate fat shell up. Salt generously on fat side with Kosher salt.
- 7Place on grill fat side down. Turn down heat to 350°F Let sear 5 minutes. Then turn roast & sear other sides - 5 minutes apiece. Keep lid down when not turning.
- 8Decrease fire to 325°F & cook approximately 12 minutes a pound, periodically lifting lid to turn & test with meat thermometer until desired doneness reached.
- 9Remove from grill, let rest 15 - 25 minutes, slice thin & serve. Enjoy.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Bottom Round Roast
Serving Size: 1 (202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.1
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 96.8 mg
- Sodium 167.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 35.8 g