Prep 45 mins
Cook 8 mins
A hearty fish and slaw sandwich.
- 4 (6 ounce) fish fillets (perch, barramundi, sea bass, halibut or your choice)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 long French baguette
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 3 -4 teaspoons kosher salt (NOT table salt)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1⁄2 red onion, halved and sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1⁄4 cup sweet pickle, minced
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- Light a charcoal or gas grill. Place all the spices in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide baguette into four lengths approximately as long as the fillets and split each in half. Coat fish with melted butter by brushing it on.
- Place buttered fillets on a plate or platter. Also butter the split face of the baguette in the same manner; set aside.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture on all sides of fish, coating liberally. Clean and lightly oil hot grates. Grill fish for about three or four minutes on each side (using a thin spatula, flip fish and cook until opaque throughout), avoiding open flame. The end result will be dark, some of the herbs may even be a little burned and the fish should be just done. Remove fish from heat and allow to rest for a few minutes. Grill bread, buttered side only, until just golden.
- Cole Slaw: Combine all the vegetable ingredients in a large bowl. Combine all remaining ingredients in a small bowl and add to vegetables. Adjust seasoning and let sit in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Assemble: Place a liberal amount of coleslaw on one half of baguette, add a fillet, top with other half of baguette and hold everything together with a tooth pick.