Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 4 mins
Cook 2 mins
Read Dawnab's Grilled Cheese Diner Style recipe and was suprised to see the feedback on the mayo. Here is one we have been enjoying for years that uses mayo for butter. It really dresses up a breakfast, and can be cooked on a grill with a griddle when camping. We use different jams and jellies, and replace the cream cheese with peanut butter for the kids (and sometimes Grandpa).
- Place fry pan or griddle on medium heat.
- Spread mayo on one side of each slice of bread and stack dressed sides face to face on a plate.
- Spread cream cheese on top slice and jam on top of cream cheese.
- Seperate slices and place first slice mayo side down in pan.
- Top with second slice and grill both sides until crisp and golden brown.
- NOTE: Ingredient amounts based on bread machine bread, so try cutting ingredients back to 1 tablespoon if using standard size bread.
What a great recipe! This is really easy to make. I had been saving this for a few weeks now and i was really busy today. I remembered about this recipe and decided to give it a try. At first i couldn't figure out why i had to stack the mayo dressed sides face to face. until i put mayo on a slice of bread and instinctively put the bread on my counter-top mayo side down without thinking. I have to remember that next time. Also i used my George Foreman grill and it worked great! the mayo formed a very crispy crust and the George Foreman squashed it down a little bit. The sandwich had little "pockets" of jam and when you bit into it they ooze out. What a simple and fantastic recipe! Thanks a bunch
MMMMMM delish. I used non-fat mayo and cream cheese, and low calorie bread. I also used strawberry jam because its all I had! Yum yum, thanks for the wonderful idea.
This is wonderful. Don't be afraid of the mayo, it's a perfect dressing for grilled bread (it's only egg and oil, the egg cooks, the oil keeps it from sticking -- it costs a lot less than butter, too!)and it tastes devine. Next time I'm going to try it with my rhubarb-ginger chutney.