Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
We are drying our cayenne peppers - they are coming out of our ears! This recipe caught my eye from www.fiery-foods.com .
- 3 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- nutmeg, allspice, turmeric, and cloves
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons purple onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
- 3 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil, peanut preferred
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons purple onions, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg, beaten
- To make the paste, combine all the ingredients, except the oil, in a blender or food processor and with the motor running, slowly add just enough of the oil to form a paste. This will likely make enough paste for a triple batch - store extra in the fridge or freeze.
- Combine all the ingredients for the kifto in a bowl and mix well. Add the berbere paste several tablespoons at a time (taste by frying a dab of it) & mix into meat mixture. Use berbere paste to your palate. Form into small balls, slightly elongated, and place on skewers.
- Grill over a medium hot fire for about 8 minutes until cooked through. Cut open a sample to check for doneness.