Fantastic side dish in a flash! These peppers have a wonderful punch of real Italian flavors. Warm, sweet, colorful peppers stuffed with savory basil pesto, fresh garlic and gooey melted bocciocini cheese. This was a keeper at first bite!
- 2 sweet bell peppers, halved lengthways (red, orange and yellow)
- 2 large garlic cloves, cut into thin slivers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons basil pesto
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 5 mozzarella cheese, boccocini cheese balls sliced (fresh mozzarella cheese sold in most grocery store deli's)
- Preheat the grill to 375 degrees F.
- Scrape out the cores and seeds from the peppers.
- Brush olive oil inside peppers and season cavity with salt and pepper.
- Add a few slices of garlic to each pepper cavity and place on grill (cavity side up) until charred (approximately 3 minutes).
- Add a spoonful of pesto to each of the peppers and slices of Boccocini cheese.
- Continue to cook peppers until cheese in melted (approximately 3 minutes).
- Serve right away.
Update: September 2008: During the summer I have been using this recipe alot and have been experimented with different pestos. Olivieri makes a wonderful Olive Oil and Garlic Pesto and a Spicy Chipotle Pepper Pesto. I am stingy on 5 stars....but this one "rocked my world"!!!! June 2008: Excellent! The presentation was great and my guests were quite impressed!!! I did add a bit more garlic than stated, but that is a preference. I am not a huge fan of pesto....but I loved this dish! I would highly recommend this one!!