Recipe by Mareesme
A "comfort food" dinner with the flavor of grill cooking that can't be beat! I serve this with mashed potatoes or seasoned potato wedges made on the grill and a refreshing fruit salad.
- 6 beef shanks, sliced thick
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 -10 peppercorns
- 6 crookneck yellow squash or 6 zucchini, small to medium-size
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons horseradish
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 -2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- STEP 1.
- Place beef shanks in a large frying pan, adding water, onion, carrot, bay leaf, whole black peppers and boullion cubes.
- Bring to boil, cover, and simmer slowly approximately approximately 45 until tender. Cool slightly in liquid.
- Remove shanks, cutting off excess fat, discarding bones if desired. Drain stock and place in bowl in refrigerator to bring fat to the top while doing second step.
- STEP 2.
- Melt butter in same frying pan and turn off heat.
- Stir in mustard, horseradish, basil. and lightly add salt and pepper.
- Dip shanks into coating mixture, then put aside.
- Cut squash that had been cut in half lengthwise. Dip squash in same mixtures and put aside.
- Place beef and vegetables cut side down on grill racks sprayed with cooking oil. Place 6" inches over medium-hot coals or cook indirectly on left side of gas grill with right jets turned on to medium-high.
- Watch and turn as needed until meat and squash are brown and tender (do not burn squash) about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Lightly butter squash and place on serving plate or bowl.
- Place meat on another platter. If desired, remove fat from leftover stock from Step 1, season if needed, and reheat. Drizzle stock over meat.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or seasoned potato wedges done on grill, along with a nice fruit salad.