Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
Cooks' notes: • Pinwheels can be formed, but not cooked, 1 day ahead and chilled on a platter, loosely covered with plastic. • If you aren't able to grill, pinwheels can be broiled on well-oiled rack of a broiler pan 4 to 6 inches from heat, turning over once, 6 to 8 minutes total.
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) flank steaks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces very thinly sliced prosciutto
- 4 ounces thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 3⁄4 lb arugula, stems discarded
- 8 -10 wooden skewers, soaked in water 30 minutes
- lemon wedge
- Cover work surface with plastic wrap and put steak on it with a short side of steak nearest you. Holding a sharp knife parallel to work surface and beginning on a long side, using short slicing motions, butterfly steak by cutting it horizontally almost, but not all the way, in half, then open it like a book.
- Cover steak with a double thickness of plastic wrap (about 2 feet long) and, using the flat side of a meat pounder (or using a rolling pin), gently pound meat 1/4 inch thick.
- Discard top sheets of plastic wrap and turn steak on plastic wrap so grain of meat is running left to right, then rub 1 tablespoon oil onto steak and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Arrange prosciutto in a slightly overlapping layer on steak, then cover with cheese.
- Beginning with side nearest you, using plastic wrap as an aid and pressing slightly on filling, roll up steak tightly, then skewer steak, crosswise, at 1-inch intervals.
- Using a sharp knife, cut between skewers to make 1-inch-thick pinwheels. (End pieces will be about 1 1/2 inches thick. Trim if desired.
- Prepare grill for cooking over medium-hot charcoal (moderate heat for gas). If using a charcoal grill, open vents on bottom of grill, then light charcoal.
- When charcoal turns grayish white (about 15 minutes from lighting), hold your hand 5 inches above grill rack to determine heat for charcoal as follows:.
- Hot: When you can hold your hand there for 1 to 2 seconds.
- Medium-hot: 3 to 4 seconds.
- Low: 5 to 6 seconds.
- If using a gas grill, preheat burners on high, covered, 10 minutes, then, if necessary, reduce to heat specified in recipe.
- Grill pinwheels, cut sides down, on a well-oiled rack, turning over once (use a metal spatula to loosen), until beef is well browned outside but still pink inside and cheese is beginning to melt, 6 to 8 minutes total.
- Toss arugula with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Serve on a platter, topped with pinwheels.