Recipe by HokiesMom
For ZWT6 tour: Greek Region. In Greek this is called Souvlaki Mosharisio. I think the marinade is going to prove very flavorful but still allow the beef to shine. Beef kebabs are not as traditional as kebabs with chicken, pork, or lamb, but they are delicious. The key to this recipe is to start with tender shank meat. They do not have it listed but I think some button mushrooms threaded on the skewers would be great with this recipe too.
Top Review by diner524
Oh my, I am really loving the Greek recipes!!! This so flavorful and the meat is so tender!!! I used a sirloin steak in place of the beef shanks(my store didn't have any) and I didn't have the Greek oregano, so I used my Cavander's Greek seasoning in place of all the seasoning, but otherwise, made as posted!! I loved the added lemon flavor at the end, really hit this recipe to the top!!! Made for Newest Tag!!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef shank, cut in large cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon Greek oregano (rigani)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 bell pepper, seeded, cut in chunks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the pieces of meat thoroughly to remove any debris, and drain for 15 minutes.
- Combine the oregano, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle the meat with the seasonings, and add oil and vinegar. Use hands to mix and coat all pieces of meat.
- Thread skewers (about 12" metal skewers): Put a piece of meat on the skewer and slide down to 2 inches from the handle end of the skewer. Add a vegetable piece, another piece of meat, and continue, alternating vegetable pieces, using a total of 5 pieces of meat on each skewer. A piece of meat should go on last, using the meat to hold the vegetable pieces firmly so they don't fall off during cooking.
- Cover and refrigerate skewers for at least one hour before cooking. (They can be marinated as long as 24 hours before cooking.).
- Mix 3 tablespoons of olive oil with the lemon juice and brush the skewers just before cooking.
- Grill to taste over hot coals (or on a gas grill and brush with the oil and lemon mixture a couple of times while cooking. You'll want to turn the skewers at least once during grilling. It should take somewhere between 10 and 15 minutes depending on the thickness of your cubes for a medium temperature.
- Yield: 7-8 skewers.