Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Sinaporean-inspired dish from chef/owner Chris Yeo of Straits Restaurant. I originally acquired this recipe from Wine Enthusiast Magazine. This recipe is served with Lemon Grass Sauce which is published independently reference Lemon Grass Sauce.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup white onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon peanuts, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon Thai basil, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 4 -6 grape leaves
- 3 butter lettuce leaves, trimmed, will form lettuce cups
- 3 mint leaves
- 3 kaffir lime leaves (ideally laksa leaves are best)
- 3 Thai basil
- 3 leaves cilantro
- 6 carrots (cut into sticks)
- 6 jicama (cut into sticks)
- MIx all of the ingredients for the grape leaf beef (except the grape leaves) thoroughly. Roll into 1/2 ounce logs and wrap each log with a grape leaf.
- Skewer the grape leaf beef and grill on both sides until done, about 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
- To serve, place one leaf of each herb in each of the lettuce cups. Remove the beef from the skewers and stack them on top of each of the lettuce cups 2 by 2 by 2.
- Prepare Lemon Grass Sauce - reference recipe # 316596 and pour into a ramekin and place on the plate next to the beef. Stack the carrots and jicama on the plate.
- Wine recommendation: Pair with a spicy red, e.g. South African Pinotage from Hamilton Russell or Diemersdal.