This recipe comes from, "The Black Dog" restaurant on Martha's Vineyard. It's my favorite beef fajita recipe, by far! Grilling the beef really makes a difference in flavor and the blend of spices are perfect. However, if you don't want to grill, the beef can be done using a cast iron pan on the stovetop. The beef will have a more intense flavor if you let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours after applying the dry rub. You can also make the salsa, slice the onions and peppers ahead of time. Whether you're entertaining or just have a hankering for a really good beef fajita, this recipe rocks.
- 4 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper
Southwestern Spice Rub
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon powdered thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground marjoram
- 2 lbs flank steaks or 2 lbs skirt steaks or 2 lbs sirloin tip steaks
- 2 medium onions
- 2 -3 bell peppers, I like to use red and green combo
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup sour cream
- Mix all of the southwestern spice rub ingredients, coat the beef with the rub - rubbing it in well on both sides - and set aside. (Or refrigerate for a few hours.).
- Peel and slice the onions.
- Remove the seeds from the peppers and slice.
- Cook the pepper and onion slices in olive oil (cast iron pan recommended) until they are slightly wilted.
- Grill the beef over medium flame (or cast iron pan on the stove top), flipping midway through cooking time, to your desired doneness. It typically takes about 7-10 minute for medium rare.grills/cooking times vary.
- Warm up the tortillas by heating on the grill or in a dry pan on the stove.
- After letting the beef rest for about 5 minutes, slice it across the grain in about half-inch slices.
- Serve with the warm tortillas, the pepper and onions, the salsa, and the sour cream on the side.