Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
You can sub chicken mince/ground chicken for the beef......though be sure to cook chicken thoroughly. 1 tablespoon measure = 4 teaspoons. Makes 8 skewers. Have included the recipe for the Vietnamese sauce, but you can use any sauce of choice. You can substitute roasted cashews or macadamias in place of the roasted peanuts
- 8 bamboo skewers, coaked in water for 20 minutes prior to use
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil, for grilling or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 500 g beef mince or 500 g ground chicken
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped mint or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- 3 tablespoons roasted peanuts, chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons coconut cream
- 3 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1⁄3 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small red chili, deseeded andvery finely chopped (red asian style chilli)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
Vietnamese Dipping sauce (optional)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar syrup
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- Combine all of the meatball ingredients, kneading and squeezing until the mixture is well mixed and smooth.
- With wet hands, shape into bite-size balls and thread three onto each skewer.
- Brush lighly with oil and grill on a barbecue, in a hot pan or under the grill. Turn often, for about 7 minutes until cooked but still a little rare on the inside. If using the chicken meat- be sure to cook through thoroughly.
- Serve with Vietnamese dipping sauce or other sauce of your choice.
- To make the Vietnamese dipping sauce (optional): Whisk all ingredients together. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.