Jenny Rowan's Note:
I originally created this recipe with leftover BBQ chicken and stuff from my fridge and it's become my most requested recipe! I make this for just about any occasion and my relatives all request that I bring it to family birthday parties and get togethers. The cooking time reflects typical marinating and pasta cooking time. The prep time is the grilling and cutting time (it usually doesn't take that long). The salad isn't hard but it takes a little bit of prep time to get the best results. It's well worth it! This recipe is also very easy to prepare ahead of time. You can grill the chicken and cut the veggies one day and assemble it the next.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 pint Miracle Whip (not mayo)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup pickle juice or 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, of your choice
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 lb campanelle pasta (or other shape of your choice)
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1 strips 1/2 orange bell peppers, cut into 1 strips
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1 strips 1 green bell pepper, diced 2 small tomatoes, seeded, cut into 1 strips
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 1Marinate the chicken breasts in the 1 cup BBQ sauce (or more) for up to 1 hour.
- 2Meanwhile, combine all dressing ingredients except for the BBQ sauce.
- 3Refrigerate until ready to dress the salad.
- 4This is an excellent all-purpose dressing that can be used for any potato or pasta salad.
- 5It will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks.
- 6Grill chicken on a gas grill set to med-high for about 8 minutes a side until juices run clear, basting with more BBQ sauce as they cook.
- 7You can also use leftover cut up chicken or bake it in the oven.
- 8Set chicken aside to cool.
- 9Cook pasta in rapidly boiling salted water for 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- 10Drain and rinse with cold water.
- 11While the pasta cooks, cut up the vegetables for the salad and place in a large bowl.
- 12When the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut it into strips or cubes and place in the large bowl with the veggies.
- 13Add the cooked pasta to the bowl and mix well.
- 14Add enough dressing and additional BBQ sauce (around 1/2 cup or more to your liking) until the salad is dressed to your preferred consistency.
- 15Cover and chill for several hours or overnight.
- 16When time to serve, add more dressing or BBQ sauce as needed if the salad has dried out a little.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Bbq Chicken Pasta Salad for a Crowd
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.5
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 66.5 mg
- Sodium 458.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 32.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: