1/9 Photos of Grilled BBQ Chicken Legs
1 hr 15 mins
I've adapted this recipe from many other recipes, taking things that i've liked and things I didn't like as much out. I love this simple recipe as it brings simple BBQing to another level. It all starts off with the brine/marinade. I find that a few hours of brining is usually enough, but for this recipe longer really is better. I usually at least brine my legs for at least 12 hours (Meaning, I usually end up start the brining process at night and let it brine until lunch or dinner the next day).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 30 chicken legs (Costco sells a package of 30 for less than $10)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup salt (Lawry's is a good option) or 1/4 cup seasoning salt (Lawry's is a good option)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup mccormick's steak seasoning
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 5 -6 fresh garlic cloves
- 3 -4 sprigs rosemary, stripped from stem
- barbecue sauce
- 1Mix all brine/marinade ingredients in a large bowl and then separate into zip lock bags and add chicken.
- 2Chill and marinade for at least 4 hours or more hours. (Remember though, longer the better).
- 3Grill chicken on a well oiled grill until browned on all sides, turning only once, about 15 to 20 mins each side. (A good indicator that legs are being cooked well in the inside is by observing blood seeping out from the top of the legs).
- 4Since all grills run at different temperatures, (if possible) make sure that grill is covered first and allowed to raise to 400 degrees before uncovering the grill, oiling the racks, and placing the legs onto the grill. This will help your grilling off to a great start.
- 5Never cover your grill there after, the sudden increase in heat will turn your legs to charcoal.
- 6Towards the end of your grilling(5 mins) liberally spread a bbq of your choice (I like "Sweet Baby Ray's") unto one side of the chicken. Then (if possible) place chicken legs on a top rack for indirect heat with the bbq side of the leg down and the none bbq'd side up.
- 7Spread the other side with bbq now and let the bbq really caramelize onto the legs for 5-10mins on indirect heat.(if you dont have a top rack, just reduce this time to 3 to 5mins).
- 8Now take the legs off the grill and Wah-Lah! You've just made some amazing BBQ'd legs. Bon Appetite!
- 9*All grills have hot spots so be mindful of these spots and switch your chicken around the grill as not to completely char them.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled BBQ Chicken Legs
Serving Size: 1 (639 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1559.7
- Calories from Fat 920
- Total Fat 102.2 g
- Saturated Fat 26.5 g
- Cholesterol 594.0 mg
- Sodium 4615.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 130.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: