A great ending to a lovely summer barbecue! Adapted from Country Living magazine. The original recipe called for brandy, but I have subbed vanilla.
- 4 ripe bananas, splits
- 8 teaspoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla (or try coconut extract, rum extract, or lemon extract!Or use brandy)
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 8 teaspoons chocolate syrup
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pecans (or your choice of nuts) (optional)
- Heat the grill to low. Make and incision lengthwise on the side of each banana, leaving 1 inch uncut at both ends and the skin intact. Spread open the cut and place 2 teaspoons of butter pieces, 1 tbs. brown sugar, and 1 teaspoons vanilla inside.
- Grill, covered, until the butter mixture has melted and bananas are heated through, 8 to 10 minutes. Move the bananas to 4 separate sundae dishes, carefully flipping the bananas over and pouring the sauce into the bottom of each dish.
- Peel off the skins, and top each with an equal amount of ice cream; add warm chocolate sauce, and nuts, if desired. Serve immediately and enjoy!