Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Recipe from our local Whole Foods Market. Looks interesting and different. I've never made this, so I am completely guessing at prep/cook times. Time to marinate fruit is not included.
- 4 ripe bananas
- 8 large strawberries
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- good quality vanilla ice cream
- good quality real chocolate syrup
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- real whipped cream (optional)
- Leaving skin on, wash bananas thoroughly.
- Cut in half crosswise and then again lengthwise, ending up with four pieces from each banana.
- Cut strawberries in half to make two pieces from each.
- Whisk together orange juice, sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Add bananas and strawberries and toss gently to coat.
- Let marinate for at least 15 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Grill bananas and strawberries cut-side down over medium-low heat about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Remove strawberries and set aside.
- Turn bananas over and continue cooking skin side down about 5 more minutes or until the skin pulls away from the banana.
- Remove skins from bananas and place 4 pieces into each serving bowl.
- Top with ice cream, then sauce, then whipped cream.
- Place 4 pieces of grilled strawberry on top.
- Garnish with chopped nuts.
This was excellent! I didn't have any oranges on hand (we fresh squeeze all of our juice) so I ended up doubling the sugar and used 1.5 tbsp. of lemon juice instead. Not sure if that impacted the intended original taste but it was still superb. Thanks!