Quick and easy on the grill. Tastes great by itself, or made into a sandwich.
Make and share this Grilled Balsamic- Soy Portabella Mushrooms recipe from Food.com.
for the mushrooms
- 3 -4 large portabella mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 -2 large vidalia onions or 1 -2 large walla walla onion
- olive oil
- 3 -4 split kaiser rolls or 3 -4 sandwich buns
- 3 -4 slices provolone cheese
- garlic aioli (optional) or mayonnaise (optional)
- Cut stem level to mushroom and clean mushrooms.
- Mix together olive oil, balsamic, soy, garlic, red pepper and sesame oil in a large ziplock bag or shallow marinating dish.
- Place mushrooms in bag with marinade and coat thoroughly; allow to sit for 1-3 hours, turning occasionally.
- Slice onions about 1/4-inch thick and set aside.
- Prepare grill, remembering to oil grate.
- Place mushrooms on grill (using extra marinade for a baste), and onion slices on mesh grate on grill.
- Drizzle onions with a little bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, basting mushrooms occasionally, and turning once, about 10 minutes or until tender in center.
- Do not burn onions or mushrooms (if they start cooking too fast, move them further from the hottest coals or heat source).
- Serve mushrooms with grilled onions on a kaiser roll, if desired, along with aioli or mayo and provolone cheese.
- You may microwave cheese on the mushroom for 45 seconds or so if you like it melted.
Delicious! I loosely followed directions, using just one big portobello mushroom and about half the marinade. I used red onion and broiled the mushroom in the oven. I served this on whole wheat buns with mayo and sliced cheddar cheese. Yum!Made a great dinner, along with steamed asparagus and a mixed greens salad. Thanks Sue!