Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This healthy recipe is from the Mayo Clinic. The balsamic vinegar is really a nice complement to the mushrooms.
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, 5 inches in diameter
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Clean mushrooms with a damp cloth and remove their stems. Place in a glass dish, stem (gill) side up.
- To prepare the marinade, in a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, water, sugar, garlic, cayenne pepper and olive oil. Drizzle the marinade over the mushrooms. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for about 1 hour, turning mushrooms once.
- Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill or broiler. Away from the heat source, lightly coat the grill rack or broiler pan with cooking spray. Position the cooking rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat source.
- Grill or broil the mushrooms on medium heat, turning often, until tender, about 5 minutes on each side. Baste with marinade to keep from drying out. Using tongs, transfer the mushrooms to a plate and serve immediately.
I liked this. I was in a rush, so I didn't marinade it for long, but it was still very tasty. I used my oven broiler (no BBQ) and my burger was perfectly cooked. I served it on a large hamburger bun with Veganaise, Cheddar, and lettuce. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Yum! I let these marinate while I was at work (and called my hubby mid-day to have him flip them) and grilled them up for dinner when I got home...then we sliced them over greens for a main-course salad...really fantastic flavoir!
This satisfied my portabella burger craving. I left out the cayenne since I made it for my 3yo too and served it with jack cheese and lettuce on a whol wheat bun. My husband thought it was delicious and ate it in just 4 bites it seems. I wasn't so lucky because I was helping my son eat his so mine got really soggy because of all the marinade the mushroom absorbed. Taste was there but very messy if you aren't able to eat it immediately.