Recipe by Denise in NH
On a recipe card in the produce department from my local grocer. I imagine you could use either yellow summer squash or zucchini.
Top Review by MomLuvs6
Family loved these. Loved the bacon-stuffing in the squash. Great and different way of grilling the sqaush. Used yellow squash and zucchini squash. Thank You. [Made for Bargain Basement Tag]
- 2 large summer squash
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese (finely shredded)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium direct heat. Meanwhile, cut squash lengthwise into halves. With spoon, scoop out pulp, leaving at least 1/2 inch shell; set aside. Coarsely chop pulp. Cook bacon in medium skillet over medium heat until browned. Add onion and celery; cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in squash pulp; cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Stir in bread crumbs, cheese, and thyme. Spoon filling evenly into squash shells; pressing lightly. Place on grill. Grill covered, 7 to 11 minutes or until squash is tender and filling is hot.