- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (at least 80%)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup regular beer or 1⁄4 cup non-alcoholic beer
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 rye meal or 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- ketchup, if desired (optional)
- pickle, planks if desired (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat gas or charcoal grill. In medium bowl, mix all ingredients except buns, ketchup and pickles. Shape mixture into 6 patties, about 3/4 inch thick.
- Place patties on grill rack over medium heat. Cover grill; cook 10 to 15 minutes, turning once, until meat thermometer inserted in center of patties reads 160ºF. Add buns, cut sides down, for last 4 minutes of grilling or until toasted.
- Top burgers with ketchup and pickle planks; serve on buns.