Recipe by Girl from India
Adapted a bit from the RD Cookbook. Borrowed this book many times from my mum and used the recipes but have never stored them as my kitchen shelves cannot take anymore cookbooks ;) So now storing them on Zaar for posterity so brought it specially from mum for the purpose. Feel like I am distributing treasures. A good feeling :) Cook time does not include marination time.
- 4 baby chickens
- lemon wedge (to garnish)
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed (the recipe says 3)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil (I use less as usual)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut each bird along the backbone and remove the backbones of each.
- (the birds are'spatchcocked' is the term) Lay the birds on a hard surface and put pressure on the breastbone to flatten them Loosen the skin from the flesh but do not tear it right from the breast till the thighs.
- Put all the stuffing ingredients in a blender (except the oil and salt) and puree Keeping the motor running on low slowly mix in the oil till well blended.
- Add the salt to taste, Spread the stuffing (a 1/4 for each bird) evenly between the skin and flesh of each bird.
- Refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours.
- Grill under low heat for 30 mins.
- Garnish with the lemon wedges and serve.