Recipe by Abby Girl
I adapted this recipe that I got from Bon Appetit many years ago. These can be done on the grill -- or -- for the faster version, just put the frozen ribs in your crockpot, pour the sauce over on top and cook them on low for the day. Which ever cooking method you choose, these ribs are excellent
Top Review by pittgal
I made this a few years ago from the Bon Appeite Recipe. These were ok, but boy were they time consuming! I expected more wow for how much work I put into them. My guests enjoyed the sauce but I probably would not make these again.
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup golden brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1⁄2 dried ancho chile, stemmed, seeded, cut into small pieces (or any other chili)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄3 cup Bourbon
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 lbs pork baby back ribs (about 3 whole racks)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauce: Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-low heat. Add green onions, white onions and garlic and sauté until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Mix in all remaining ingredients, adding bourbon last. Simmer sauce until thick, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Sauce can be prepared 2 weeks ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Spice Rub: Mix first 7 ingredients in medium bowl. Rub spice mixture over both sides of rib racks. Arrange ribs on large baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (you may not want to use all the spice mixture).
- Preheat oven to 300. Cook the ribs in the oven for 1-1/2 hours. Remove from oven
- Prepare barbecue.
- Brush ribs with sauce and continue cooking until cooked; 20 - 30 minutes.