Grilled Avocado With Lavender-Citrus Sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (I doubled up on the lime juice and skipped the lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 teaspoon culinary grade provence lavender (finely ground in a spice grinder or a small pestle & mortar and use fresh lavender when available)
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 avocados, firm but ripe
- fresh lime zest or fresh lemon zest
- Place the butter in a small prep bowl. Use a fork to whip it soft until creamy.
- Add the lime juice (and lemon juice), tequila if using, lavender, and salt. Beat until all the liquid is incorporated. Refrigerate until firm.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high. We used our stove top grill to prepare this recipe.
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. DO NOT peel the avocados.
- Place the avocados on the heated grill, flesh side DOWN and leave for about 4 minutes to make grill marks on the flesh. Tip: on our stove top grill with my hand I [lightly] added pressure to the avocados to speed up the grill mark process thus avoiding overcooking the avocados and turning soft too quickly.
- Turn the avocado halves over and place a scant tablespoon of the butter-citrus mixture in the hollow of each avocado.
- Grill for an additional 10 minutes approximately or until the butter melts and the avocado is soft but not mushy. *The cooking time depends on the ripeness of the avocado.* The avocado should bubble around the skin but not be overcooked. For testing this recipe, this step took me about 4 minutes on the stove top grill.
- The avocados halves were served with a light garnish of lime zest, our main dish of simple roasted chicken; Recipe #478129, and Recipe #175034.