I made this tonight for dinner and it was wonderful. Original recipe is from my Webber Cookbook and I've changed it up for us.
- In a small saucepan bring the vinegar to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat until just a few bubbles break through the surface.
- Add the smashed garlic.
- Cook at a slow simmer until about 1/4 cup of vinegar remains (about 20 minutes).
- If you cook too quickly or it reduces too much, it will turn bitter rather than sweet.
- Remove the sauce pan from the heat and let cool to room temperature (The syrup will continue to thicken as it cools).
- Heat grill to medium heat.
- Remove and discard all tough, woody ends from the asparagus spears.
- Wash and pat dry.
- Lightly coat the asparagus with the Hot Pepper Oil.
- Season evenly with the salt and pepper.
- Brush the cooking grate clean.
- Lay the asparagus perpendicular to the bars on the grate.
- Grill over direct medium heat with the lid closed as much as possible, until lightly charred and crisp-tender, 4-6 minutes, rolling the spears a couple of times and swapping their positions as needed for even cooking.
- Arrange the asparagus on a platter or individual plates.
- Remove the garlic from the syrup.
- If the syrup is stiff, warm it briefly over medium heat.
- Drizzle some of the syrup over the spears (you may not need all of it.).
- Season with more salt, if desired.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.