I made this tonight for dinner and it was wonderful. Original recipe is from my Webber Cookbook and I've changed it up for us.
- In a small saucepan bring the vinegar to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat until just a few bubbles break through the surface.
- Add the smashed garlic.
- Cook at a slow simmer until about 1/4 cup of vinegar remains (about 20 minutes).
- If you cook too quickly or it reduces too much, it will turn bitter rather than sweet.
- Remove the sauce pan from the heat and let cool to room temperature (The syrup will continue to thicken as it cools).
- Heat grill to medium heat.
- Remove and discard all tough, woody ends from the asparagus spears.
- Wash and pat dry.
- Lightly coat the asparagus with the Hot Pepper Oil.
- Season evenly with the salt and pepper.
- Brush the cooking grate clean.
- Lay the asparagus perpendicular to the bars on the grate.
- Grill over direct medium heat with the lid closed as much as possible, until lightly charred and crisp-tender, 4-6 minutes, rolling the spears a couple of times and swapping their positions as needed for even cooking.
- Arrange the asparagus on a platter or individual plates.
- Remove the garlic from the syrup.
- If the syrup is stiff, warm it briefly over medium heat.
- Drizzle some of the syrup over the spears (you may not need all of it.).
- Season with more salt, if desired.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Really good! The balsamic glaze is so good with this. I also used the hot pepper oil recipe suggested. This will be made again as we eat a lot of asparagus! Thanks for sharing.
Terrific! I used your Hot Pepper Oil as suggested and it was SO good. The balsamic syrup was just yummy and a perfect match to both the asparagus and the spicy oil. Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe!
Gushing reviews from all my diners. I made your recipe for Hot Pepper Oil as suggested and plan to use it for other purposes, too. The balsamic "drizzle" was fabulous. Even the youngest was swiping his plate with his finger. His big ole wet kiss was well worth my effort. Made for Please Review My Recipe