Recipe by Melissa Spangler
My friend Andree in New Orleans gave me this recipe at a Fourth of July BBQ one year. I've tried it with canned artichokes, too, but prefer the fresh ones. Great side dish for BBQ's.
Top Review by susie cooks
I love artichokes! I made these just a little bit different. I used kitchen shears to cut off all the pointy tips. I cut about 1/2 inch off the whole top too. Then I scooped out the choke and prickly leaves. Boiled the artichokes until tender, drained and cooled. Then cut in half and brushed with the dressing. Love the lemon-mint dressing. Made for the Bargain Basement tag game.
- 2 lemons, halved
- 6 large artichokes
- 2⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
Directions See How It's Made
- Squeeze juice from halved lemons into large bowl filled with cold water. Cut stem off 1 artichoke, leaving about 1 inch. Snap off outer 2 rows of leaves. Using small knife, cut our choke and prickly small leaves. Place artichoke in lemon water. Repeat with remaining artichokes.
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Drain artichokes from lemon water, add to pot and boil until crisp-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain. Transfer artichokes to rack & cool. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover & refrigerate).
- Prepare barbecue grill to medium high heat. Whisk oil, 1/3 cup lemon juice, and mint in small bowl. Season dressing to taste with salt & pepper. Brush artichokes with dressing. Grill until tender and lightly charred in spots, turning occasionally, about 8 minutes. Transfer artichokes to platter. Drizzle with some of the remaining dressing. Serve warm or at room temperature.