Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
Recipe taken from "The Foods of the Greek Islands".
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 12 baby artichokes
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- coarse salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place about 1 1/2 quarts cold water in a bowl and squeeze the juice from the lemons into it; set the lemon quarters aside.
- One at a time, cut off the stem of each artichoke, leaving only about 1 inch.
- Snap off the bottom three rows of leaves, rubbing the cut surfaces frequently with the lemon quarters, and cut off the tip of the artichoke.
- Halve the artichoke lengthwise and rub generously with the lemon quarters.
- Using a grapefruit spoon, remove the hairy chokes from the center of the artichoke.
- As you work, place the prepared artichokes in the lemon water.
- Prepare the grill.
- Drain the artichokes and dry with paper towels.
- Place them cut side down on a work surface and flatten with yout hands.
- Brush generously on both sides with oil.
- Thread 3 artichoke halves each onto 8 soaked bamboo or metal skewers.
- Grill 3 to 4 inches from the fire, turning once, for 4 minutes per side, or until thoroughly softened.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm or at room temperature.
Excellent! I made this on my indoor grill pan and they were great.