This is a bit easier than the other grilled arepa recipe I posted, as it uses premade arepas. Some supermarkets and Latino markets carry these, in the dairy section. They can also be found online. Adapted from Steven Raichlen's Planet Barbecue! The salsa ingredients can be chopped in a food processor. NOTE: I have used "corn cakes" as the ingredient name, because the software does not recognize arepas as an ingredient.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the salsa
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, very finely diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, very finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, very finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (approximately)
For the arepas
- 7 corn cakes, thawed if frozen (arepas)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 1Combine onions, peppers, garlic, cilantro, vinegar, and lime juice.
- 2Toss to mix.
- 3Season with salt to taste.
- 4Add more lime juice if desired. There should be about 1 1/2 cups of salsa.
- 5Salsa can be made several hours in advance.
- 6Preheat grill to high.
- 7Brush and oil grill very well.
- 8Lightly brush both sides of arepas with some of the melted butter.
- 9Arrange arepas on grill, and and grill until toasted and brown, about 2 minutes.
- 10Turn over with a spatula or tongs and grill on other side about 2 minutes.
- 11Transfer arepas to a platter and brush with any remaining butter.
- 12Top each arepa with some of the salsa.
- 13Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Colombian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Arepas With Salsa (South American Corn Cakes)
Serving Size: 1 (328 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 65.0
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 13.0 mg
- Sodium 37.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 0.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: