Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a bit easier than the other grilled arepa recipe I posted, as it uses premade arepas. Some supermarkets and Latino markets carry these, in the dairy section. They can also be found online. Adapted from Steven Raichlen's Planet Barbecue! The salsa ingredients can be chopped in a food processor. NOTE: I have used "corn cakes" as the ingredient name, because the software does not recognize arepas as an ingredient.
For the salsa
- 1⁄2 medium sweet onion, very finely diced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, very finely diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, very finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (approximately)
For the arepas
- 7 corn cakes, thawed if frozen (arepas)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- Combine onions, peppers, garlic, cilantro, vinegar, and lime juice.
- Toss to mix.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Add more lime juice if desired. There should be about 1 1/2 cups of salsa.
- Salsa can be made several hours in advance.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Brush and oil grill very well.
- Lightly brush both sides of arepas with some of the melted butter.
- Arrange arepas on grill, and and grill until toasted and brown, about 2 minutes.
- Turn over with a spatula or tongs and grill on other side about 2 minutes.
- Transfer arepas to a platter and brush with any remaining butter.
- Top each arepa with some of the salsa.
- Serve immediately.