Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
Adapted from Chef Rafael Palomino's recipe, found on OChef.com. Posted by request. Arepas may be made in advance through step 8, covered with a damp towel and refrigerated up to 1 day before grilling.
- 1 cup corn kernel, fresh (or frozen and thawed)
- 3⁄4 cup heated chicken stock (or water)
- 1 cup instant cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sour cream
- 1 ounce manchego cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup farmer's cheese (or Mexican queso blanco)
- Place corn kernels and chicken stock in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Pour the cornmeal into a large bowl.
- Stir in the sugar and sour cream.
- Stir in corn mixture.
- Add cheese.
- Form mixture into a ball.
- Separate dough into 8 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and then flatten into a pancake about 1/4-inch thick and 2 inches in diameter ( rub your fingers around the edge so that it maintains its thickness).
- Preheat grill.
- Brush the arepas lightly with the melted butter.
- Grill the arepas until golden, about 3 minutes on each side. They should be toasted on the outside, but soft in the middle.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Before serving, top with a spread of the farmer's cheese.
I made these a few weeks back and forgot to review...Instant masa subbed for cornmeal and I would next time definitely omit the sugar. I don't understand the purpose for that ingredient. Served with black beans, tossed salad and fresh fruit. Used a tortilla press to form and a stove top grill, too. Will make again! Thank you for posting!