Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe gives grilling a new twist. My family and I love it. I'm sure of prep & cook time but I gave a guess. We grill a lot through out the year and this is one of our favorites. I found this while thumbing through a grill cook book at a friends house and wrote it down. Kids even like this recipe!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- pepper, to taste
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil and sauté onion until soft.
- Add applesauce, ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Bring to a boil while stirring. Reduce heat and let simmer. Remove from heat when thickened.
- Place chicken on grill, skin side down. Grill for about 15 minute Turn and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Turn again and brush a heavy layer of applesauce mixture on the chicken. Continue cooking and baste with sauce until chicken is done.