Prep 3 mins
Cook 8 mins
Adapted from the RSVP Junior League Cookbook, Portland, ME. Submitted by Jean Swan. This recipe makes enough for 2 sandwiches. I think this would be great on whole wheat, pumpernickel or rye bread.
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup apple, tart, finely chopped
- 2 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
- 4 slices bread, your favorite
- butter, melted
- Mash cream cheese; add mayonnaise; beat until fluffy. Stir in apples and bacon.
- Spread between the bread slices.
- Brush both sides of sandwiches generously with melted butter.
- Grill in pan until golden brown.
What a yummy twist on a grilled cheese! I used a Granny Smith apple and whole wheat bread. I also layered my sandwich instead of mixing everything into one spread. My layers were bread, half cream cheese mixture, slice of bacon, thin apple slices, the other half of the cream cheese mixture, the other slice of bread. Worked out great. Thanks for sharing - so yummy!! Will definitely make again!
This is different; not your same old run of the mill grilled cheese! Great twist on an old fave! I can't wait to share it with my friends; this would be lovely for brunch or just a light lunch. I used a granny smith apple, and white bread, as that is what I had on hand. Thanks, Oolala, for posting a keeper!