Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen.
Roasted Red Onion Mayo
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 slices sourdough bread, multigrain (1/2-inch thick slices) or 2 slices another hearty crusty bread (1/2-inch thick slices)
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked crisp
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 granny smith apple, cored, sliced thin
- On a small rimmed baking sheet, toss the red onion, olive oil, salt and pepper together.
- Roast in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the onion is very soft, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Transfer to a food processor and buzz until finely chopped.
- Add the mayo and pulse until smooth and combined.
- Preheat a seasoned grill pan or griddle over medium heat.
- Assemble this sandwich just as you would a traditional grilled cheese sandwich: spread 1 slice of bread with some Red Onion Mayo, then top with 2 slices Cheddar, the bacon, the apple slices, then 2 more slices of Cheddar, finishing with another mayo-slathered slice of bread.
- Butter the outsides of the bread and transfer to the hot grill.
- Grill about 3 minutes per side, since this sandwich is so thick.
- Remove to a cutting board and cut the sandwich in half on the diagonal to serve.
- ***Paula's instructions were for just one sandwich. Obviously, the red onion mayo will serve more than one person.
This was delicious! I made it exactly as stated and just the right amount of ingredients worked well for me. Loved the combination of these ingredients!
excellent sandwich! I made mine using greek pita and the panini grill. All the flavors worked together well, next time i will use more apple