Recipe by MTDavids
It's tough finding a good grilled dessert. This one finds it's way to my grill often after a summer BBQ. It's flexible with many options on the toppings. Experiment. The grilled cake seems to really add something. Please clean your grill before cooking the cake. There is no greater culinary suprise than fishy angel food cake. While I'm laboring at the grill with the cake, my wife takes it easy doing the berries and whipped cream. The times indicated reflect doing it all by yourself. The Cinnamon Whipped Cream recipe comes from Melanie Vassallo (#108469).
- 12 ounces angel food cake or 12 ounces poundcake
- 1 pint strawberry, hulled and quartered
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, gently combine berries with the brown sugar to coat.
- Add orange juice and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, with the mixer set at medium speed, beat cream, vanilla and cinnamon until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Cut cake into 6 wedges and place on a grill over medium heat.
- Grill until golden brown on both sides.
- Watch cake closely so it does not burn.
- To serve, place a cake wedge on a plate, cover with berries, and top with whipped cream.
- NOTE: We use pound cake and peaches in this recipe also. If using pound cake, handle gently on the grill so it does not break up.