WOW! What a terrific dessert! So easy and fun! PLUS the fruit topping is prepared and waiting in the fridge which makes this ideal for dinner parties, guests, etc.. Imagine Angel Food cake lightly grilled and topped with these or any combo of your favorite fresh fruits and a dollop of sherbet or sorbet! All I can say is WOW! I hope you like this too!
- 1 angel food cake, prepared
Fresh Fruit Salsa
- 1 cup cantaloupe, chopped or 1 cup honeydew melon
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1⁄2 cup blackberry
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 cups sherbet (optional) or 4 cups sorbet, any flavor (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine fruit, sugar, lime juice, mint, and cayenne pepper and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving.
- When ready to serve, prepare and preheat grill.
- Slice cake in half horizontally and place, cut side down, on grill 6" from medium coals.
- Grill for 30-60 seconds or until light golden brown. Carefully turn cake and grill on second side for 30-60 seconds until light golden brown.
- Be sure to watch the angel food cake very carefully when grilling. Don't leave the grill for even a second, because it will brown very quickly!
- Cut cake into 8 pieces and top with fruit mixture and sherbet or sorbet.