Recipe by Cookin' Mommy
A low fat dessert perfect for a summer's meal ending. This can also be put in the broiler until the angel food cake browns. Recipe adapted from Mayo Clinic's website, healthy recipes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup rhubarb, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 angel food cake, prepared, cut into 6 pieces
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat charcoal/gas grill or broiler and away from heat source lightly coat rack or broiler pan with a nonstick cooking spray. Adjust cooking rack at least 4 to 6 inches away from heat source.
- In a medium saucepan combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, water, vanilla, and cinnamon. Over medium heat cook mixture until just boiling, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Lay angel food cake toward edge of grill rack or broiler pan where there is less heat.
- Grill cake until each side is nicely browned, approximately 1 to 3 minutes.
- On individual serving plates, place angel food cake and top each piece with 1/4 cup of the strawberry-rhubarb sauce. Add 2 tablespoons of whipped topping and serve immediately.