Prep 5 mins
Cook 22 mins
I haven't made this yet; I found it in Southern Living and am posting it here for safekeeping. It sounds wonderful! Chill time is not included in the prep or cooking time.
- 1⁄2 large vidalia onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup andouille sausage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat oil in a 3-qt saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute onion and sausage until tender. Add broth and half-and-half; bring to a boil. Gradually stir in grits and salt. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour grits onto a lightly greased baking sheet in a 10 1/2 inch circle (should be about 1/2-inch thick); cover and chill 8 hours.
- Turn grits circle onto a flat surface and cut into 8 wedges. Brush top and bottom of each wedge with melted butter.
- Grill, uncovered, over medium heat (300-350 degrees) for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove and keep warm.
- Grits may be broiled instead of grilled. Place on baking sheet and broil 6 inches from heat for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden.