Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a quick and easy side to pair to any meat you're throwing on the grill this summer. You can substitute the green bell peppers with red, orange, or yellow bell peppers, or use two portabello mushroom caps (cleaned, gills removed). For a lower fat version, use low fat cheese, low fat margarine, and turkey bacon.
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 cup white rice
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- 1 teaspoon flour (or cornstarch)
- 4 slices bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cook rice according to package directions (instant rice usually calls for 1 cup water boiled, rice added and allowed to sit for 5 minutes).
- Meanwhile, half bell peppers and remove seeds and membranes.
- With cut side of bell pepper facing down, shave a small part of the pepper from the middle, so when you turn it over it will lie flat.
- Once rice is finished, stir in butter, salt, pepper, and basil.
- Toss cheese with flour, then stir into rice mixture.
- Pack bell pepper halves with rice mixture.
- Grill on medium high heat for 15 min or until peppers are cooked through.