Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A southern tradition
- 4 lbs round steaks, seasoned to taste
- 3⁄4 cup bacon drippings
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Burgundy wine (optional-if not using wine increase water to 2 cups)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt, black pepper and red pepper to taste
- cooked grits
- Cut meat into serving size pieces.
- Pound and flatten to 1/4 thickness.
- Heat 1/4 cup bacon grease over medium heat in dutch oven and fry meat until browned.
- Remove from dutch oven and add remaining bacon grease and flour and stir constantly to make a dark brown roux.
- When roux is the right color add onions, green onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic, cooking until soft.
- Add tomatoes and all remaining ingredients except grits.
- Lower heat, cover and simmer 2 hours.
- Best if refrigerated overnight.
- Serve over hot grits.