You have to pay attention. Large sea scallops are usually about 2 inches. Once they are darkened on both sides and look almost opaque in the midsections, don’t hesitate...pull them off the grill. One of the two best recipes from 25 Essentials – Techniques for Grilling Fish by Karen Adler and Judith Fertig. The other one: Grilled Tilapia With Spicy Lemon Pepper Rub. Note: Can use a cast iron skillets on the grill. Good to know.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Pistachio-Tarragon Brown Butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- kosher salt or sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lbs large scallops
- 1Prepare a hot fire in a grill. Oil 2 cast-iron skillets or a cast-iron grill griddle and preheat on the grill.
- 2To make the brown butter, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Keep cooking until the butter starts to bubble and turn a medium brown and has a nutty aroma, 3 to 5 minutes. (Do not let the butter get too dark. That would be burned.). Remove from the heat and stir in the pistachios and tarragon. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour 1 to 2 tablespoons of the melted pistachio butter into a ramekin to use on the raw scallops while grilling. Reserve the rest of the butter mixture as a serving sauce; keep warm.
- 3Brush the sea scallops with the melted butter mixture from the ramekin and place on the prepared grill rack or griddle. Grill for about 3 minutes before turning. If the scallops stick, cook them a little longer, until they turn easily. After turning, grill long enough to heat through, 1 to 2 more minutes. Watch carefully because little too long over the flames and they become tough and rubbery. If the scallops aren’t done enough, you can always put them back on the grill for 30 seconds or so. You can't undo overcooked scallops.
- 4Drizzle the seared scallops with the reserved warm pistachio-tarragon brown butter and serve.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grill-Seared Scallops With Pistachio-Tarragon Butter
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 384.9
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 115.4 mg
- Sodium 892.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 28.6 g