Restaurant-style blackened steak can be done at home with Grill Mates Steak Rub and good quality steaks.
- Place large cast iron skillet (preferred) or other large heavy skillet (not nonstick) on high heat at least 5 minutes or until very hot. (See Test Kitchen Tips if using nonstick cookware.).
- Mix rub, paprika, thyme and red pepper in small bowl.
- Brush each side of steaks with butter or oil. Generously season with rub mixture.
- Carefully place steaks in hot skillet. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until desired doneness, turning once.
- Test Kitchen Tips: To avoid the smoke generated from high temperature cooking, blacken the steaks outdoors. Preheat large cast iron or other large heavy skillet on stovetop or in oven and carefully transfer to a hot grill to cook the steaks.
- To Use Nonstick Skillet: Prepare steaks as directed above. Heat large nonstick skillet on medium heat 5 minutes. Cook as directed above. Increase cook time as needed for desired doneness.
- To Grill: Steaks can also be cooked directly on a preheated grill. Flavor and appearance will vary from the traditional skillet method.
- Black and Blue Steak: Cut a 4-inch wide pocket in each 2 New York Strip Steaks (3/4 inch thick) being careful not to cut through back or sides of steak. Continue as directed in Steps 2 and 3. Fill pocket of each steak with about 2 tablespoons blue cheese. Press steak lightly to seal closed. Cook as directed.