Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
Restaurant-style blackened steak can be done at home with Grill Mates Steak Rub and good quality steaks.
Top Review by rosie316
We loved the steaks. I made them according to instructions, and cooked them directly on the grill (our gas stove/oven is being repaired). I used the Grill Mates and other seasonings, but only added a pinch of ground thyme (I did not have the leaves). While hubby was grilling (about 2 minutes per side), I was using my electric griddle to grill some sliced onions with EVOO and toasted up some split french rolls. Our steaks were quite thin, so I put two on each roll. We made rib-eye sandwiches out of the steaks, and they were fantastic!. I also made some homemade chips to go with them. Thank you for an excellent dinner tonight. (Made for "Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup" tag).
- 2 rib eye steaks (about 3/4-inch thick) or 2 New York strip steaks, trimmed (about 3/4-inch thick)
- 29.58 ml mccormick grill mates dry steak seasoning
- 4.92 ml mccormick paprika
- 2.46 ml McCormick® Thyme Leaves
- 1.23 ml mccormick red pepper, ground
- 29.58 ml melted butter or 29.58 ml oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Place large cast iron skillet (preferred) or other large heavy skillet (not nonstick) on high heat at least 5 minutes or until very hot. (See Test Kitchen Tips if using nonstick cookware.).
- Mix rub, paprika, thyme and red pepper in small bowl.
- Brush each side of steaks with butter or oil. Generously season with rub mixture.
- Carefully place steaks in hot skillet. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until desired doneness, turning once.
- Test Kitchen Tips: To avoid the smoke generated from high temperature cooking, blacken the steaks outdoors. Preheat large cast iron or other large heavy skillet on stovetop or in oven and carefully transfer to a hot grill to cook the steaks.
- To Use Nonstick Skillet: Prepare steaks as directed above. Heat large nonstick skillet on medium heat 5 minutes. Cook as directed above. Increase cook time as needed for desired doneness.
- To Grill: Steaks can also be cooked directly on a preheated grill. Flavor and appearance will vary from the traditional skillet method.
- Black and Blue Steak: Cut a 4-inch wide pocket in each 2 New York Strip Steaks (3/4 inch thick) being careful not to cut through back or sides of steak. Continue as directed in Steps 2 and 3. Fill pocket of each steak with about 2 tablespoons blue cheese. Press steak lightly to seal closed. Cook as directed.