1/2 Photos of Grill Mates Blackened Steak
Restaurant-style blackened steak can be done at home with Grill Mates Steak Rub and good quality steaks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 rib eye steaks (about 3/4-inch thick) or 2 New York strip steaks, trimmed (about 3/4-inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons mccormick grill mates dry steak seasoning
- 1 teaspoon mccormick paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Thyme Leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon mccormick red pepper, ground
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons oil
- 1Place large cast iron skillet (preferred) or other large heavy skillet (not nonstick) on high heat at least 5 minutes or until very hot. (See Test Kitchen Tips if using nonstick cookware.).
- 2Mix rub, paprika, thyme and red pepper in small bowl.
- 3Brush each side of steaks with butter or oil. Generously season with rub mixture.
- 4Carefully place steaks in hot skillet. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until desired doneness, turning once.
- 5Test Kitchen Tips: To avoid the smoke generated from high temperature cooking, blacken the steaks outdoors. Preheat large cast iron or other large heavy skillet on stovetop or in oven and carefully transfer to a hot grill to cook the steaks.
- 6To Use Nonstick Skillet: Prepare steaks as directed above. Heat large nonstick skillet on medium heat 5 minutes. Cook as directed above. Increase cook time as needed for desired doneness.
- 7To Grill: Steaks can also be cooked directly on a preheated grill. Flavor and appearance will vary from the traditional skillet method.
- 8Black and Blue Steak: Cut a 4-inch wide pocket in each 2 New York Strip Steaks (3/4 inch thick) being careful not to cut through back or sides of steak. Continue as directed in Steps 2 and 3. Fill pocket of each steak with about 2 tablespoons blue cheese. Press steak lightly to seal closed. Cook as directed.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grill Mates Blackened Steak
Serving Size: 1 (7 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 52.5
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 51.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rib eye steaks
dry steak seasoning
McCormick® Thyme Leaves