1/1 Photo of Griessnockerl - Austrian Style Semolina Dumplings
Another famous Soup Dumpling, found in every Gasthaus throughout Austria and Bavaria. Serve it in a bowl of home made chicken- or beef stock, sprinkle some chopped chives over and enjoy as first course.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat the eggs and melted butter until foamy, stir in the semolina, season with salt, pepper and freshly grated nutmeg to taste. Mix well and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 2Form oval quenelles with the aid of 2 teaspoons, drop them into boiling water, don't overcrowd the pot, they will plump up.
- 3Cook for 10 - 15 minutes or until they rise to the surface.
- 4Remove from the heat, add one cup of cold water to the pot and let stand for another 10 minutes, by now they should have doubled in bulk.
- 5Drain and serve in broth, sprinkled with chives and grated nutmeg.
- 6Note: I always make one extra dumpling that can be cut open to check for doneness. If the sample dumpling is not soft inside, leave them a little longer. It should be soft but not mushy.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Griessnockerl - Austrian Style Semolina Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (54 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 191.9
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 82.3 mg
- Sodium 117.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 5.7 g